Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
Winner in the Better than Butter contest held by Colavite. Great Sunday breakfast!
- 1 lb loaf Italian bread, unsliced
- 1⁄3 cup colavita olive oil
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 ripe pear, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup dried cherries or 1⁄2 cup cranberries
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk, more if necessary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons Amaretto
- chopped fine toasted almond
- Heat oven to 350ºF degrees.
- Slice bread in 1-inch slices (should have 10-12 slices);set aside.
- Put olive oil in 13x9 inch baking dish; cover with brown sugar.
- Arrange apples, pears and dried cherries over brown sugar.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon & nuts; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, then add milk, almond extract & Amaretto. (If you choose you can add a litttle more)
- Dip bread slices in egg mixture and place on top of fruit.
- Pour any extra egg mixture over bread.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until bread is lightly golden.
- Serve fruited side up with warm maple syrup or a dusting of powdered sugar, if desired.
This was so amazing. I couldn't believe how delicious it was. Very easy to make but looks gorgeous.