1 hr 25 mins
Comfort food at it's best! Plan ahead the chicken needs to soak in the buttermilk for 45 minutes. The complete recipe (gravy also) may be doubled to serve more than 3-4 people, just make certain that you use a large enough baking dish to accommodate all of the chicken, or use two baking pans, I just make this in two heavy 13x9-inch foil pans or use a large turkey roaster foil pan, I just discard the pans after...easy, no clean-up! You will love this chicken recipe! You can use canned mushrooms in place of fresh, but fresh it definatley better!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 7 -8 chicken pieces (skin left on) or 1 whole chicken, cut up (skin left on)
- buttermilk, to cover chicken pieces
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 -3 tablespoons onions
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced (or coarsley chopped)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons seasoned flour (left over from the chicken coating)
- 1 cup half-and-half cream or 1 cup full-fat milk
- 1 -2 teaspoon chicken bouillon powder, use if needed (or can use a bouillon cube) (optional)
- 1To make the chicken: place the chicken pieces in a in baking dish, and pour buttermilk over to cover, turing with hands to coat all evenly; refrigerate for 45 minutes (make certain to use a baking dish to accommodate the chicken pieces in one layer).
- 2Set oven to 400 degrees.
- 3Spread the 1/2 cup melted butter in a large baking dish (large enough to hold chicken pieces).
- 4Using a heavy plastic freezer bag place the flour and all seasonings together and shake bag to mix.
- 5Reserve 2 heaping tablespoons of flour mixture; set aside.
- 6Shake one piece of chicken at a time in the seasoned flour, then place skin-side down in the baking dish.
- 7Bake for 20 minutes, turn over and continue baking for another additional 20 minutes, or until crispy and cooked.
- 8Remove the chicken; set aside in a warm place.
- 9For the gravy: Pour the pan drippings from the cooked chicken into a skillet, and saute the onions and mushrooms on medium high heat until soft.
- 10In a small cup whisk together the 2 tablespoons reserved flour with the 1 cup milk or cream until smooth.
- 11Whisk the milk mixture into the onion/mushroom mixture.
- 12If you think you need to add in the bouillon powder then add it in at this point, if not just omit it.
- 13Simmer until thickened, adding in more milk or cream to desired consistancy is reached.
- 14Serve the gravy with the chicken.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Fried Chicken With Pan Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (175 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 553.4
- Calories from Fat 353
- Total Fat 39.3 g
- Saturated Fat 24.4 g
- Cholesterol 106.2 mg
- Sodium 252.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 8.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: