Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 40 mins
Comfort food at it's best! Plan ahead the chicken needs to soak in the buttermilk for 45 minutes. The complete recipe (gravy also) may be doubled to serve more than 3-4 people, just make certain that you use a large enough baking dish to accommodate all of the chicken, or use two baking pans, I just make this in two heavy 13x9-inch foil pans or use a large turkey roaster foil pan, I just discard the pans after...easy, no clean-up! You will love this chicken recipe! You can use canned mushrooms in place of fresh, but fresh it definatley better!
- 7 -8 chicken pieces (skin left on) or 1 whole chicken, cut up (skin left on)
- buttermilk, to cover chicken pieces
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 -3 tablespoons onions
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced (or coarsley chopped)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons seasoned flour (left over from the chicken coating)
- 1 cup half-and-half cream or 1 cup full-fat milk
- 1 -2 teaspoon chicken bouillon powder, use if needed (or can use a bouillon cube) (optional)
- To make the chicken: place the chicken pieces in a in baking dish, and pour buttermilk over to cover, turing with hands to coat all evenly; refrigerate for 45 minutes (make certain to use a baking dish to accommodate the chicken pieces in one layer).
- Set oven to 400 degrees.
- Spread the 1/2 cup melted butter in a large baking dish (large enough to hold chicken pieces).
- Using a heavy plastic freezer bag place the flour and all seasonings together and shake bag to mix.
- Reserve 2 heaping tablespoons of flour mixture; set aside.
- Shake one piece of chicken at a time in the seasoned flour, then place skin-side down in the baking dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes, turn over and continue baking for another additional 20 minutes, or until crispy and cooked.
- Remove the chicken; set aside in a warm place.
- For the gravy: Pour the pan drippings from the cooked chicken into a skillet, and saute the onions and mushrooms on medium high heat until soft.
- In a small cup whisk together the 2 tablespoons reserved flour with the 1 cup milk or cream until smooth.
- Whisk the milk mixture into the onion/mushroom mixture.
- If you think you need to add in the bouillon powder then add it in at this point, if not just omit it.
- Simmer until thickened, adding in more milk or cream to desired consistancy is reached.
- Serve the gravy with the chicken.
This was delicious. So moist on the inside and crispy on the outside. Thanks Kitten for another wonderful recipe.