Recipe by jabz53105
Recipe from Penzey's Spices catalog. Yummy! --Overnight soaking of the bread is what causes the dish to puff up and be very creamy when baked. If you don't have overnight, at least let it soak a few hours.
Top Review by hazeleye18f
I love this recipe. Very delicious, if made right. I have made this recipe before and had great success, but this time it came out very soggy and not cooked through. I put way too little bread for way too much ingredients. Here is the caution: make sure the next day that all or most all of the liquid soaks into the bread and frozen fruit works great but if you defrost it first you might add more liquid to the mix so it can also contribute to the liquid disaster. That is what I did. I would say to make sure it's mostly obsorbed into the bread before sticking it in the over or it might come out like mine did. I was so disappointed when I pulled it out of the oven and attempted to eat it. This recipe, I think should warn about that happening at least. Anyhow, I hope this held others to not make the same mistake.... Happy baking!
- 1 small loaf day-old French bread (or about 1/2 of a large loaf)
- 5 eggs
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup strawberry, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly grease 9x13 pan.
- Cut the bread in 3/4-inch slices.
- Layer in the pan, fitting snugly. In a bowl, lightly beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla.
- Stir in the milk.
- Pour over bread; turn bread slices over.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Cut the butter in bits, add to the mix and rub together to make a crumb topping.
- Remove the pan from the fridge, carefully turn the bread pieces over and scatter mixed berries evenly over the bread.
- Sprinkle with crumb topping.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes, until puffy and golden.