Recipe from Penzey's Spices catalog. Yummy! --Overnight soaking of the bread is what causes the dish to puff up and be very creamy when baked. If you don't have overnight, at least let it soak a few hours.
- Lightly grease 9x13 pan.
- Cut the bread in 3/4-inch slices.
- Layer in the pan, fitting snugly. In a bowl, lightly beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla.
- Stir in the milk.
- Pour over bread; turn bread slices over.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Cut the butter in bits, add to the mix and rub together to make a crumb topping.
- Remove the pan from the fridge, carefully turn the bread pieces over and scatter mixed berries evenly over the bread.
- Sprinkle with crumb topping.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes, until puffy and golden.