Prep 12 hrs
Cook 40 mins
My mother's favorite meal is brunch and this is the reason why. We makes this recipe several times a year, and it freezes great. This can be made without the blueberries for picky eaters, as that was how I liked it when I was young. Note: don't ruin it by putting on syrup--it is fantastic just the way it is. Also, prep times includes the overnight refrigeration.
- 1 loaf French bread
- 5 eggs
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 3 1⁄4 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup strawberry, garnish (optional)
- Grease a 13x9-inch baking dish.
- Diagonally cut break into 1 inch slices, place in baking dish, and set aside.
- In medium bowl light beat eggs, sugar, and vanilla.
- Stir in milk.
- Pour mixture over break in baking dish, turning slices to coat well.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Heat over to 375°F.
- In small bowl combine flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture resembles course crumbs.
- Turn bread slices over in baking dish. Scatter blueberries over bread and sprinkle evenly with crumb mixture.
- Bake about 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Before serving, top with strawberries, if desired.
Just made this today...it went over GREAT!!!! Everyone loved it! I didn't use French Bread, I made a loaf of white batter bread fresh to use for it. Next time though, I think I'll use half of a loaf or two pans to have it bake a little more even. With this being so easy, I'm definatly going to make this a go-to recipe for when we have company over night!