1 hr 5 mins
A different kind of French Toast made with English muffins and with 3 different toppings.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 whole English muffins, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 2/3 cups half-and-half or 1 2/3 cups whipping cream or 1 2/3 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg, preferably freshly grated
- 1 1/4 cups thinly sliced strawberries
- 1/4 cup strawberry jam or 1/4 cup currant jelly
- 1 teaspoon orange juice
- mixed fruit
- 1 kiwi fruit, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberry
- 1 ripe small banana, sliced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1Spray 10-inch quiche dish or deep dish pie plate with non-stick cooking spray.
- 2Arrange muffins in a single layer in dish. In a medium bowl, beat together eggs and combined sugar and cinnamon.
- 3Stir in vanilla and salt; mix well.
- 4Add half-and-half and melted butter or margarine, mixing well.
- 5Pour evenly over muffins; press down on muffins to moisten with liquid.
- 6Sprinkle nutmeg evenly over mixture.
- 7Cover and refrigerate overnight, if desired, or bake immediately.
- 8(NOTE: At this point, French toast may be cooled completely, cut into wedges, placed between sheets of waxed paper in a plastic freezer storage bag and frozen up to 1 month and to cook, place wedges on baking sheet and bake in 350°F oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until thawed and heated through).
- 9Bake in 350°F oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until puffed and golden brown.
- 10Transfer to cooling rack; cool at least 10 minutes before serving.
- 11Cut into wedges and serve warm with desired fruit topping or heated maple syrup.
- 12Mixed Fruit Topping, combine 1 kiwifruit, peeled and diced, 1/2 cup fresh raspberries and 1 ripe small banana, sliced with 2 tablespoons honey and 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice.
- 13Let stand 5 minutes.
- 14Strawberry Topping, combine 1-1/4 cups thinly sliced strawberries, 1/4 cup strawberry jam or currant jelly and 1 teaspoon orange juice in a microwave-safe bowl.
- 15Cover and cook at high power 1 minute or until warm (Or, heat in a small saucepan over medium heat until warm.).
- 16Peachy Keen Topping,combine 1/4 cup peach or apricot preserves and 1 tablespoon pineapple or apple juice.
- 17Add 1 peeled and diced ripe peach or 1 cup diced thawed frozen sliced peaches, 1/4 cup fresh or partially thawed frozen blueberries, mixing well.
- 18Serve at room temperature or heat as for Strawberry Topping above.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked French Toast Wedges With Toppings
Serving Size: 1 (336 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 473.5
- Calories from Fat 135
- Total Fat 15.1 g
- Saturated Fat 8.3 g
- Cholesterol 140.8 mg
- Sodium 359.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 77.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 47.2 g
- Protein 9.6 g