Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
A different kind of French Toast made with English muffins and with 3 different toppings.
Make and share this Baked French Toast Wedges With Toppings recipe from Food.com.
- 4 whole English muffins, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 2⁄3 cups half-and-half or 1 2⁄3 cups whipping cream or 1 2⁄3 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg, preferably freshly grated
- 1 1⁄4 cups thinly sliced strawberries
- 1⁄4 cup strawberry jam or 1⁄4 cup currant jelly
- 1 teaspoon orange juice
- mixed fruit
- 1 kiwi fruit, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh raspberry
- 1 ripe small banana, sliced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup peach preserves or 1⁄4 cup apricot preserves
- 1 tablespoon pineapple juice or 1 tablespoon apple juice
- 1 peach, peeled and diced (or 1 cup diced thawed frozen sliced peaches)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh blueberries or 1⁄4 cup partially thawed frozen blueberries
- Spray 10-inch quiche dish or deep dish pie plate with non-stick cooking spray.
- Arrange muffins in a single layer in dish. In a medium bowl, beat together eggs and combined sugar and cinnamon.
- Stir in vanilla and salt; mix well.
- Add half-and-half and melted butter or margarine, mixing well.
- Pour evenly over muffins; press down on muffins to moisten with liquid.
- Sprinkle nutmeg evenly over mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight, if desired, or bake immediately.
- (NOTE: At this point, French toast may be cooled completely, cut into wedges, placed between sheets of waxed paper in a plastic freezer storage bag and frozen up to 1 month and to cook, place wedges on baking sheet and bake in 350°F oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until thawed and heated through).
- Bake in 350°F oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until puffed and golden brown.
- Transfer to cooling rack; cool at least 10 minutes before serving.
- Cut into wedges and serve warm with desired fruit topping or heated maple syrup.
- Mixed Fruit Topping, combine 1 kiwifruit, peeled and diced, 1/2 cup fresh raspberries and 1 ripe small banana, sliced with 2 tablespoons honey and 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice.
- Let stand 5 minutes.
- Strawberry Topping, combine 1-1/4 cups thinly sliced strawberries, 1/4 cup strawberry jam or currant jelly and 1 teaspoon orange juice in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Cover and cook at high power 1 minute or until warm (Or, heat in a small saucepan over medium heat until warm.).
- Peachy Keen Topping,combine 1/4 cup peach or apricot preserves and 1 tablespoon pineapple or apple juice.
- Add 1 peeled and diced ripe peach or 1 cup diced thawed frozen sliced peaches, 1/4 cup fresh or partially thawed frozen blueberries, mixing well.
- Serve at room temperature or heat as for Strawberry Topping above.
Yummy! I made this for Mother's Day and it was great. Other than doubling the ingredients because I was feeding a crowd, I followed the recipe exactly as written. Everyone had second servings!