Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Simple to put together in the morning & pretty flexible. We prefer the brown sugar for the sweetener, and I don't think we've ever tried the bananas and strawberries but I've heard they're good. Unfortunately, I don't remember where I got this recipe.
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar or 1⁄2 cup maple syrup or 1⁄2 cup honey or 1⁄2 cup Splenda granular
- 7 -8 slices bread, cut in half horizontally
- 6 eggs
- 3 tablespoons milk
- banana, sliced (optional)
- strawberry, sliced (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine the butter and sweetener in a 9"x13" baking dish; set dish in oven until the butter is melted. Remove dish from oven and layer bread in two rows, overlapping edges.
- Beat eggs and milk in a bowl. Pour mixture over bread.
- Bake 15 minutes, or until bread is firm. Remove from oven.
- Remove pieces and flip onto plates so that the glazed side is up.
- Cover pieces with bananas and strawberries, if desired.
Thank you for a great and easy french toast,made this for our xmas brunch and even my dh who usually says no to ft loved it,made again for the 2 of us just cut in half.
We really enjoyed this tasty french toast. It was so quick and easy to throw together. We will be enjoying this treat often. The french toast puffed up beautifully with a lovely caramel glaze. It was crunchy on the outside and tender on the inside, just the way I love it. I garnished with thick slices of banana. Made for Spring PAC 2014.
This was delightful, heavenslice. We loved it! I had some thick Texas Toast bread to use up, so I used it to make this Baked French Toast recipe, and I'm glad I did because it was nice and crunchy on the outside and so soft and fluffy on the inside. But it was the sweet caramel glaze that really made the French Toast so tasty. For the caramel glaze, I used the brown sugar/butter option, but I'd love to repeat this recipe a few more times and try a few of the other suggestions (especially honey) to see if it produces the same wonderful result. We drizzled our favorite maple syrup on top, but this would be excellent with fresh strawberries or blueberries. Made for the Spring 2014 Pick-A-Chef event.