Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
A sweet and sumptuous baked French toast recipe which is prepared the night before and baked in the morning.
- 1 loaf French bread, cut diagonally in 1 inch slices
- 8 eggs
- 475 ml milk
- 355 ml half-and-half cream
- 10 ml vanilla extract
- 5⁄8 g ground cinnamon
- 170 g butter
- 195 g brown sugar
- 45 ml light corn syrup
- Butter a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Arrange the slices of bread in the bottom.
- In a large bowl, beat together eggs, milk, cream, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Pour over bread slices, cover, and refrigerate overnight.
- The next morning, preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a small saucepan, combine butter, brown sugar and corn syrup; heat until bubbling.
- Pour over bread and egg mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven, uncovered, for 40 minutes.
Made this for breakfast this morning. Oh my. Decadent! I love how the bread puffed up when it baked so that it came out like a souffle. I substituted pure maple syrup for the light corn syrup.