Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I have made this SO many times with Creamy Chicken Bake, for family and friends, that they expect it at least once a year. My friend, Diane, first served us this 30 years ago, when we were neighbors.
- 1 (14 ounce) can onion soup, undiluted
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, sliced
- 2 cups white rice, uncooked
- Combine soup and butter, stir well.
- Drain mushrooms and water chestnuts, reserving liquid.
- Add enough water to liquid to make 1 1/2 cup.
- Add mushrooms, waterchestnuts, liquid and rice to soup mixture.
- Pour into 9X12 greased baking dish.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
Made this for the Aussie/NZ Recipe Swap #81 and this was a hit. I used fresh mushrooms (that is what I had) and added a small clove of minced garlic but otherwise followed the instructions.. This was a delicious rice dish! Served with Lemon Pepper Fish Greek Style#305221 and broccoli. Thank you for posting and I know we will have this again.
halved this, and didnt add the water chestnuts, (picked up a can of bean sprouts by accident) Used dried French onion soup and water, as we just dont have canned onion soup. Used fresh mushrooms, and threw in a cup of frozen peas towards the end, (to make up for the chestnuts :)
easy and tasty. Made for Aussie swap oct 2011
I didn't want to use canned onion soup, so used onion soup mix with water and it worked great! I also used fresh mushrooms. My husband enjoyed it too! Thanks! Made for the Australian Swap-Nov. 2009.