1 hr 25 mins
For a twist on a traditional French speciality, try this delicious onion soup with a gruyere pastry crust.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 1/2 ounces butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 large white onions, finely sliced into rings
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon soft brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 quart beef stock
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 7 tablespoons cognac
- 7 tablespoons madeira wine
- 7 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1 pinch salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 7 ounces puff pastry
- 9 ounces gruyere, coarsely grated
- 1 egg yolk, mixed with a little water, for egg wash
- 1Heat the butter and oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan. When the butter has melted, stir in the onions, cover, and cook slowly until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- 2Add the salt, garlic and sugar, letting the onions catch on the bottom of the pan, stirring frequently until they are golden in colour. Sprinkle the flour and cook slowly, stirring, for another 3 to 4 minutes.
- 3Remove from heat, allow to cool a moment, then whisk in 1 pint of the beef stock, the thyme and the bay leaf.
- 4When well blended, bring to the simmer, adding the rest of the stock, Cognac, Madeira and white wine and simmer very slowly for 1/2 an hour, adding a little water if the liquid reduces too much. Check for seasoning.
- 5Preheat the oven to 400°F Roll out the puff pastry and sprinkle with half the Gruyere cheese, fold into 3 and roll out again until it is half cm thick, then cut out 4-6 lids.
- 6Divide the soup among 4-6 ovenproof soup bowls. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of soup and cover with the pastry lids with a little egg wash seal and bake the soup in the oven for 15 minutes or until the cheesy puff pastry is golden in colour and well risen.
- 7Serve immediately by breaking through the pastry which then doubles up as your crouton.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked French Onion Soup With Gruyère Pastry
Serving Size: 1 (509 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 653.1
- Calories from Fat 424
- Total Fat 47.1 g
- Saturated Fat 22.9 g
- Cholesterol 124.3 mg
- Sodium 1072.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 7.5 g
- Protein 19.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
salt & freshly ground black pepper