1 hr 20 mins
Shawn C's Note:
A twist to the stand-by French onion soup. This will actually give you some beef in it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 lb rib eye steak, bone in
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 8 cups water, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs vidalia onions, quartered and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons beef base
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 2Use 2 teaspoons olive oil to coat the bottom of a stainless steel oven-safe frying pan.
- 3Lightly salt and pepper the steak on both sides; place in skillet with the oil.
- 4Pour Worcestershire sauce over steak and add 1/2 cup water into bottom of pan.
- 5Place the pan in oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- 6Remove the pan from oven.
- 7Transfer steak to cutting board.
- 8Reduce oven heat to 250 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 9Remove the fat and bone from the meat.
- 10Return fat and bone to pan with the drippings still in it.
- 11Add 4 cups water.
- 12Heat to boiling and scrape any bits from bottom of the pan.
- 13Boil for about 15 minutes.
- 14In another stockpot melt 3 tablespoons butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil. add onions.
- 15Reduce heat to medium-low and cook slowly, stirring often, for 15 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- 16Chop the cooled steak in small pieces and add to onion.
- 17Sprinkle flour over the meat and onions and mix through.
- 18Strain the liquid in the pan into the onions in the stock pot.
- 19Add remaining water; add the beef base.
- 20Cover and reduce heat to medium low; simmer for 15 minutes.
- 21CROUTONS: Melt the butter with the garlic clove in a small saucepan and cook on low 5 minutes.
- 22Brush both sides of French bread slices.
- 23Place in 250 degree Fahrenheit oven for 15 minutes.
- 24Turn over and cook another 15 minutes.
- 25Remove and let cool slightly.
- 26Cut each into 6 pieces.
- 27Place 4 or 5 croutons in soup crocks; ladle soup over.
- 28Top with a slice of provolone cheese and a generous sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
- 29Place under broiler until cheese is melted and starts to brown.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked French Onion and Steak Soup
Serving Size: 1 (566 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 808.7
- Calories from Fat 343
- Total Fat 38.1 g
- Saturated Fat 19.1 g
- Cholesterol 92.2 mg
- Sodium 1138.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 83.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 7.4 g
- Protein 33.5 g