1 hr 30 mins
From Chef Keith Dresser. Fresh grated cheese works best in this recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 118.32 ml butter (plus extra for the baking dish)
- 453.59 g penne
- 946.36 ml whole milk
- 88.74 ml flour
- 7.39 ml kosher salt
- 1.23 ml cayenne pepper
- 473.18 ml grated sharp cheddar cheese (Wisconsin)
- 473.18 ml grated asiago cheese
- 473.18 ml grated Fontina cheese
- 236.59 ml plain breadcrumbs
- 118.29 ml grated parmesan cheese
- 29.58 ml butter, melted
- 236.59 ml heavy cream
- 1Preheat oven to 350°. Butter a 13x9 inch baking dish.
- 2Bring 6 quarts of water to a boil; add in the pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until al dente (10-12 minutes).
- 3Drain the pasta and rinse with cold water.
- 4Drain pasta again very well; place pasta in a large bowl.
- 5In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring the milk to a boil; remove from heat.
- 6In another medium saucepan, melt the 8 tablespoons butter over med-high heat; lower heat to low and whisk in the flour, cooking for 3-4 minutes (be careful not to brown the mixture).
- 7Slowly add in the hot milk, whisking constantly.
- 8Add in the salt and cayenne; increase heat to medium, and simmer, stirring constantly until the mixture has thickened (8-10 minutes.).
- 9Remove pan from heat and add 1 cup each of the grated cheddar, asiago, and fontina cheese, whisking until the cheeses are melted.
- 10Pour the cheese sauce over the pasta; toss to coat the past evenly.
- 11Place half of the coated pasta in the baking dish; evenly sprinkle the remaining cheeses over the top.
- 12Cover with the remaining pasta.
- 13In a bowl, toss the breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, and melted butter together.
- 14Pour the heavy cream over the pasta; evenly distribute the breadcrumb mixture over the top.
- 15Bake on the middle oven rack for 30-35 minutes or until top is light brown and mixture is bubbling.
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Four-Cheese Pasta
Serving Size: 1 (411 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1101.8
- Calories from Fat 610
- Total Fat 67.8 g
- Saturated Fat 41.0 g
- Cholesterol 210.1 mg
- Sodium 1436.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 88.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.3 g
- Sugars 10.5 g
- Protein 36.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: