Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This came into my inbox today from About.com, and I just had to share it. It looks like an easy and healthy weeknight dinner. They recommend mopping up the juices with some whole grain bread. I think this might be even better with some spices sprinkled on top along with the cheese, maybe basil and oregano.
- 1 (6 ounce) bag Baby Spinach
- 4 white fish fillets
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-fat cheese or 1⁄2 cup soy cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Rinse spinach and place at the bottom of a glass baking dish.
- Season fish fillets with freshly ground black pepper. Lay fish on top of spinach.
- Pour canned tomatoes on top and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes.
I loved this. My family was quite a bit hesitant as they normally only eat fish if it is breaded and deep fried. I made it as written but thought it could use more flavor, so next time I will try adding herbs, or maybe even some crushed red pepper flakes to kick it up a bit. The recipe wasn't clear on the type of cheese so I used some shredded mozzarella. Thank you for sharing!
Hubby LOVED this. It is a perfect light option for an everyday meal, but also has enough presentation to be perfect for company. I used petite diced tomatoes with garlic and herbs and topped with a little mozzarella cheese and a lot of fresh grated Parmesan. With a side of rice, some crusty bread, and a nice glass of white wine, it was a fabulous meal that will be repeated.