Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe comes from the island of New Caledonia and is simple to prepare and tastes beautiful. Kate in Katoomba
- 4 large leeks
- 125 ml olive oil
- 4 (800 g) firm fillets white fish fillets
- 250 ml coconut milk
- 1 firm mango
- 1⁄2 bunch chopped coriander
- 1⁄2 bunch chopped basil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Preheat oven to 230 degrees C.
- Cut roots and tough green leaves from leeks.
- Cut leek into julienne strips, then soak in cold water for 10 minutes to release any trapped dirt or sand.
- Drain well.
- Place 1/4 cup olive oil into a saucepan and add the leeks.
- Stir over a high heat unitl the leeks have wilted slightly and are coated in oil.
- Lower the heat, season and cook slowly for 30 minutes or until caramelised.
- Meawhile, oil a baking dish large enough to hold the fish, arrange the fish, then season.
- Pour the coconut milk over the fish and bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Slice mango finely into strips and mix with the chopped coriander and basil.
- Add lime juice and mix well.
- Remove the fish from the oven and heap mango mixture on each fillet.
- Return to the oven for 5 minutes.
- To serve, place a small mound of caramelised leeks in the centre of the plate, then place each fish fillet on the top.
- Make sure each fillet has a good quantity of mango mixture on the top.
My husbands gives this a 4 and I give it a 2, so we compromised and gave it a 3.