Recipe by Debi
From Greek With Gusto! "From the tavernas on the island of Spetsai comes this heavenly recipe for lovers of seafood. It's crusty topping and zesty flavour make this a truly unique Greek Casserole." Note - bread crumb recipe is included and should be made in advance (included in prep time)
- 2 lbs thick fish fillets, cut into serving portions (cod, halibut, snapper, haddock, mullet etc)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- salt & pepper
- 2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- French bread
Directions See How It's Made
- Bread crumbs:.
- Slice french bread thinly. Place on a baking sheet. Bake in a 350°F oven for 10 minutes or until crisp and golden. Cool. Process in blender or food processor.
- Wash Fish, pat dry and place ina shallow baking dish. Sprinkle with lemon juice, slat and pepper. Set aside.
- Combine tomatoes, wine, oil, garlic and pepper in a saucepan and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle fish with a layer of bread crumbs, following with a layer of parsley and sauce. Repeat. End with a layer of bread crumbs.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 350°F oven for 45 minutes.