Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
From The Complete Greek Cookbook. This sounded so good; I bet you could also wrap the fish and sauce in foil and bake on the grill.
- 2 lbs fish fillets (halibut, ray, bass or cod)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 4 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 2 cups tomatoes (or 1 part tomato puree diluted with 2 cups water)
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup red wine (preferably mavrodaphne or port)
- Rinse fish with cold water. Oil baking pan with half the oil.
- Place slices of fish on pan.
- Sauce: heat remaining oil in frying pan, fry onions and garlic on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, cover and cook for 10 minute.
- Pour sauce over fish.
- Bake 45 minutes at 375 degrees F.
- Serve with a salad and crusty bread.
This recipe results in a very flavorful and moist fish. I used cod and followed the recipe as given. The sauce is absolutely delicious. We all enjoyed the dish and I will certainly make it again and again. Thanks for sharing the recipe!