Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Need a change from boring, basic fish? My family loves this recipe. I have been told it is "to die for". I have made it several times (changing the type of fish fillets). My favorites are salmon and walleye. 2 lbs of fillets is an estimate. You will need enough fish to line the bottom of a 9 by 13 cake pan.
- 2 lbs salmon or 2 lbs walleyed pike fillet
- 1⁄2 large sweet onion, sliced thin
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (8 ounce) can crab
- 1 (8 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄2 cup swiss cheese
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese
- 2 pinches dry basil
- garlic powder
- Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- 1⁄4 cup milk or 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 25 Ritz crackers, crushed
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- Sautee onions and mushrooms in butter.
- Add some Lawry's Seasoning Salt.
- Sautee until onions are tender and transparent.
- Add the soup, cheeses, salt & pepper to taste, Lawry's Seasoning to taste, garlic powder to taste, basil, crab, milk or wine.
- Simmer until creamy.
- Line fish in a single layer in a greased 9 by 13 pan.
- Sprinkle some salt on the fish.
- Pour cheese mixture over the fish.
- Sprinkle enough crushed crackers to cover the sauce.
- Top off by sprinkling grated parmesean cheese over the top.
- Bake uncovered in a 350 degree oven for 30 to 40 minutes(or until fish flakes with a fork).
- Serve immediately.
Although this recipe calls for 3 cheeses and cream of mushroom soup, the dish itself does not feel heavy or overly rich. We both really enjoyed this one. A minor alteration - we used gluten-free bread and crumbled it on top in lieu of the ritz crackers. I'll use more seasoned salt next time! Thanks, Jill L.