We went to the Greek Island of Kos and had this as a starter in a restaurant - we loved it! When we got home I had a go and made it myself. It can be served as a side dish too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7
- 2You will need two individual serving dishes that can go into the oven.
- 3De-seed and cut the bell pepper length ways into 3 cm strips.
- 4Brush the pepper slices in a little oil and place on a preheated non stick baking tray and roast for about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- 5Char the skin of the pepper slightly with a cooks blow torch if you think the skin isn’t looking nice and roasted. Put the peppers to one side.
- 6Now, in a saucepan, melt the butter and the olive oil.
- 7Slice the onion thinly and finely chop the garlic. Add the onion and garlic to the saucepan. Over a low heat, cook until soft but not coloured.
- 8Cut the feta cheese into 2cm cubes.
- 9Using individual serving dishes, layer the onions, with the thinly sliced tomatoes and the roasted red pepper slices.
- 10Top with the cubed feta cheese. Finish by sprinkling with the grated parmesan cheese. Sprinkle a pinch of paprika on top of each dish.
- 11Cover with aluminium foil (trying not to touch the cheese) and bake in the oven for about 15 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 5 to 10 minutes, or until the feta starts to get a nice colour.
- 12Take care not to cook too much as it looks better if the feta stays in cubes.
- 13Serve with nice fresh crusty bread.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Feta Cheese With Onions, Red Pepper & Tomatoes
Serving Size: 1 (638 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 864.0
- Calories from Fat 565
- Total Fat 62.8 g
- Saturated Fat 40.1 g
- Cholesterol 221.5 mg
- Sodium 2631.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 22.2 g
- Protein 42.0 g