Recipe by Jan-Luv's2Cook
We went to the Greek Island of Kos and had this as a starter in a restaurant - we loved it! When we got home I had a go and made it myself. It can be served as a side dish too.
Top Review by ahsapon
My son visited Greece and told me this was one of his favorite dishes while he was there. I made it for a dinner party and it was a hit! I can't tell you how it tasted because it was gone before I had a chance to try it. It had to be authentic.....my husband is Greek and it passed his test as well. Easy to do. I served it with toasted pita triangles. Enjoy!
- 1 red sweet bell pepper
- 10 ml olive oil
- 20 g unsalted butter
- 400 g feta cheese
- 2 large onions
- 3 tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves
- 50 g fresh parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7
- You will need two individual serving dishes that can go into the oven.
- De-seed and cut the bell pepper length ways into 3 cm strips.
- Brush the pepper slices in a little oil and place on a preheated non stick baking tray and roast for about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- Char the skin of the pepper slightly with a cooks blow torch if you think the skin isn’t looking nice and roasted. Put the peppers to one side.
- Now, in a saucepan, melt the butter and the olive oil.
- Slice the onion thinly and finely chop the garlic. Add the onion and garlic to the saucepan. Over a low heat, cook until soft but not coloured.
- Cut the feta cheese into 2cm cubes.
- Using individual serving dishes, layer the onions, with the thinly sliced tomatoes and the roasted red pepper slices.
- Top with the cubed feta cheese. Finish by sprinkling with the grated parmesan cheese. Sprinkle a pinch of paprika on top of each dish.
- Cover with aluminium foil (trying not to touch the cheese) and bake in the oven for about 15 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 5 to 10 minutes, or until the feta starts to get a nice colour.
- Take care not to cook too much as it looks better if the feta stays in cubes.
- Serve with nice fresh crusty bread.