Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
It goes fantastically well with any meat or fish.Recipe from jamie oliver.
Make and share this Baked Fennel With Vermouth recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Remove any discolored parts of the fennel, then cut the tops off and slice finely, reserving the leaves.
- I normally slice each fennel from the top to the root, into about 4 pieces, but its not that important.
- You can slice them finer and more delicately if you like.
- Literally throw all the ingredients except the reserved leaves into a baking dish.
- Rip off a piece of parchment paper, run it under cold water and scrunch it up to make it soft.
- Then place it snugly over and around the fennel, not the actual dish.
- This bakes and steams the fennel at the same time--basically making it really tasty!
- Cook in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until tender.
- Scatter with the fennel leaves before serving.
I scattered mine with fresh green fennel fronds, as I was out of fennel seeds, I use them a lot! This was a great recipe, and one that I tweaked, as my fenel bulbs were VERY small, so I cut them into quarters and not slices. The scrunched paper method was a but hit or miss, as my fennel was cooked but it was a wee bit crispy!! However, it was a DELICIOUS recipe - thanks so much for posting! Made for Hail the Chefs in the photos forum, FT :-)
I cut the recipe in half, and only used half the amt of butter to cut down on calories, but still have the effect. I used half chicken stock and half vermouth (as per Kooka's suggestion)also used 2 cloves of garlic for a half recipe and it was just wonderful! Thanks so much for a great recipe.(and Kooka, thanks for your suggested variations)
Loved this recipe! I skipped the parchment, just covered with a top to the dish. Wonderful flavors. I served this with Mashed Potatoes With Chanterelles and White Truffle Oil and Pork Medallions With Wine and Sage for the most delicious meal, all our guests raved. Thanks so much A.M. **This was saved in my Top 2008 Recipes Cookbook!