Recipe by Dancer^
This is a light, tasty way to cook fennel. It is tender, with a crunchy outer texture and just a hint of the fennel flavor. This is a great vegetable side dish with grilled or roasted meats.
- 2 large fennel bulbs
- 2 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup fresh breadcrumb
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Clean the fennel, removing the upper fronds, and slice lengthwise into 1/2 inch slices.
- Set the feathery leaves aside to garnish the completed dish.
- Place in a saucepan and cover with milk.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes or until the fennel can be easily pierced with a fork.
- Remove the fennel and pat dry.
- Layer in a baking dish, drizzle with two tablespoons of the oil and add salt and pepper.
- Bake for about 20 minutes.
- Mix the remaining oil with the cheese and breadcrumbs, and sprinkle over the dish and continue baking until golden brown.
- This dish is great hot or at room temperature.
- Use the discarded feathery fronds to garnish, and serve.