Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a light, tasty way to cook fennel. It is tender, with a crunchy outer texture and just a hint of the fennel flavor. This is a great vegetable side dish with grilled or roasted meats.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Clean the fennel, removing the upper fronds, and slice lengthwise into 1/2 inch slices.
- Set the feathery leaves aside to garnish the completed dish.
- Place in a saucepan and cover with milk.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes or until the fennel can be easily pierced with a fork.
- Remove the fennel and pat dry.
- Layer in a baking dish, drizzle with two tablespoons of the oil and add salt and pepper.
- Bake for about 20 minutes.
- Mix the remaining oil with the cheese and breadcrumbs, and sprinkle over the dish and continue baking until golden brown.
- This dish is great hot or at room temperature.
- Use the discarded feathery fronds to garnish, and serve.
This is divine! I suspect simmering in the milk keeps the fennel nice and white and makes it extra tender. For those who love the taste of fennel this is a must- try!!!
This was a great recipe and easy to make. I will be making it again :)
I had never had fennel before tonight and when I saw some at the grocery store yesterday I decided it was time to try it. Based on the reviews I choose your recipe and am so glad that I did. Excellent, it is a keeper and will cerainly become part of my regular menu items. Thanks for sharing.