1 hr 30 mins
Swan Valley Tammi's Note:
This used to be the traditional Mennonite Sunday lunch at our house -- it has since become more likely at supper, but it's just as traditional and just as delicious! I'm not sure where farmer sausage is all available or whether it's one of those local specialties just available in Manitoba, so I've posted a recipe for that as well for those of you who make your own sausages. (#184513) If you can't buy it nearby or make it yourself, I'm terribly sorry -- you're definitely missing out! This recipe is for those of you who can.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs frozen farmer sausage
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 8 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 3-4 pieces each
- 1If desired, peel frozen farmer sausage. (The best way is to hold it under a trickle of warm water.) Break sausage into 4-6 chunks.
- 2Place potatoes and carrots into a roaster or large casserole dish. Add water to cover the bottom of the dish.
- 3Place frozen sausage chunks over top (so drippings will flavour the vegetables), cover, and bake at 375F for 1-1/2 hours.
- 4Remove from oven and drain juices from casserole dish into a saucepan. (You may want to put the sausage and vegetables in a serving dish now and keep warm in the oven.).
- 5For gravy: Mix flour and milk together, adding milk gradually so a paste forms and slowly gets thicker -- you don't want lumps! (Actually, a Tupperware gravy shaker works best for this. You can just throw it all together and shake it up without worrying about lumps at all.).
- 6Add milk mixture to drippings and bring to a boil, stirring constantly, until gravy is thickened. (Depending on how much water content your sausage had, you may need to add a little more flour or milk to achieve the desired thickness.).
- 7Add salt and pepper to taste and serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Farmer Sausage, Potatoes, and Carrots With Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (418 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 984.6
- Calories from Fat 611
- Total Fat 67.9 g
- Saturated Fat 23.6 g
- Cholesterol 140.2 mg
- Sodium 2179.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.5 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 34.8 g