Although I have not made this yet, I LOVE falafels! I used to have them all the time from a little food stand while in college. One reviewer on the other site, said she thought 20 minutes on each side for the baking was better, so keep an eye out on them, you don't want them falling apart. I think Pita Bread for this recipe would also work just fine. It's worth the effort to seek out Greek yogurt, which is thick, rich, and creamy. You can make the sauce up to three days in advance and the falafel mixture up to one day ahead; then bake falafel patties just before serving. I think a blender or a hand-held immersion blender would work if you don't have a food processor. Take note, prep time does not include the standing time for the bulger. From Cooking Light magazine, December 2007. Posted for ZWT 2010.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 236.59 ml plain Greek yogurt (such as Fage Total Classic)
- 14.79 ml tahini (sesame-seed paste)
- 14.79 ml fresh lemon juice
- 177.44 ml water
- 59.14 ml bulgur, uncooked
- 709.77 ml chickpeas, cooked (garbanzo beans)
- 118.29 ml fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 118.29 ml green onion, chopped
- 78.07-118.29 ml water
- 29.58 ml all-purpose flour
- 14.79 ml ground cumin
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 3.69 ml salt
- 1.23-2.46 ml ground red pepper
- 3 garlic cloves
- cooking spray
- 1To prepare sauce, combine the first 3 ingredients, stirring with a whisk until blended.
- 2Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- 3To prepare falafel, bring 3/4 cup water to a boil in a small saucepan; add bulgur to pan.
- 4Remove from heat; cover and let stand 30 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- 5Preheat oven to 425°.
- 6Combine chickpeas and the next 9 ingredients (through garlic) in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until well blended and smooth (mixture will be wet).
- 7Spoon chickpea mixture into a large bowl; stir in bulgur.
- 8Divide mixture into 12 equal portions (about 1/4 cup each); shape each portion into a 1/4-inch-thick patty.
- 9Place patties on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- 10Bake at 425° for 10 minutes on each side or until browned.
- 11Spread about 2 1/2 tablespoons sauce onto each flatbread.
- 12Top each flatbread with 2 falafel patties, 2 tomato slices, and chopped lettuce, if desired.
Browse Our Top Southwest Asia (middle East) Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Southwest Asia (middle East) Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Falafel Sandwiches With Yogurt-Tahini Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (232 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 203.5
- Calories from Fat 27
- Total Fat 3.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 719.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.5 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 8.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: