From weight watchers website. This is yummy. Not your traditional falafel, but fantastic for not being deep fried and much healthier this way. Note: If your chick pea mixture is too dry to form nice patties (which seems to happen with some of the canned chick pea brands) then just add some liquid to them to help them bind together, such as tahini, lemon juice, oil or water.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 15 1/2 ounces canned chick-peas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley or 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sesame tahini
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- tomato, slices
- cucumber, slices
- 4 large whole wheat pita bread
- 1Combine chickpeas, onion, parsley, garlic, cumin, coriander, salt and baking soda in a food processor or blender.
- 2Process until mixture is coarsely pureed and transfer to a large bowl. Stir in flour and shape mixture into 4 large patties and let stand for 15 minutes.
- 3Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 4Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add patties and cook until golden brown, flipping once, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer skillet to oven and bake 10 minutes more.
- 5Meanwhile, whisk together tahini, water and lemon juice in a small bowl.
- 6To assemble sandwiches, place lettuce, tomatoes and cucumber in the pitas inside each pita with 1 falafel patty and drizzle with tahini dressing.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Falafel Sandwich
Serving Size: 1 (449 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 393.4
- Calories from Fat 81
- Total Fat 9.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 935.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.2 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 14.1 g