Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I've loved escargot as long as I can remember. Even though it's quite difficult to get some to even try it, this recipe has changed more minds about snails than any other I've used. Beware, this is in no way a low fat recipe!
- 24 escargot
- 24 mushrooms, stems removed
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon shallot, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped very fine
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated very fine
- 1⁄2 cup aged gruyere cheese, grated very fine
- fresh nutmeg
- 1 baguette
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Stuff one escargot into each mushroom cap.
- Arrange caps on an escargot dish, one to each indentation.
- In a small sauté pan heat 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat.
- Cook shallots and garlic until softened and beginning to caramelize.
- Using a teaspoon drizzle shallot butter into each mushroom cap.
- Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley.
- Cover mushrooms with parmesan and gruyere.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is completely melted and browned in spots.
- Sprinkle with remaining parsley and grate fresh nutmeg over top.
- Serve immediately with slices of crusty baguette.