Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Found this recipe on the box of whole wheat macaroni, and thought I would give it a try. Very good. I used fat free cheese and it tasted just as good as full fat. Lower in fat, and loaded with fiber.
- 13 1⁄2 ounces whole wheat macaroni
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 1 tablespoon dried chopped basil
- 4 cups red spaghetti sauce
- 1 lb Italian sausage, cooked and sliced thin
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated, divided
- Cook the elbow macaroni according to package directions. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet. Add garlic, onion, peppers, and basil. Saute 3 minutes, then add the sauce and sliced Italian sausage. Simmer 5 minutes.
- Spread 1 cup of the sauce mixture into the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish.
- Layer 1/2 of the macaroni, 1/2 of the sauce mixture, 1 cup mozzarella and 1/2 cup Parmesan.
- Repeat, and bake 25 minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
This was good and easy to make. I followed the recipe as written and we all enjoyed this. I just mixed everything together instead of putting it in layers.
Very good. I like it with the sausage but even better by adding browned ground beef.