Grammy Charlotte's Note:
Found this recipe on the box of whole wheat macaroni, and thought I would give it a try. Very good. I used fat free cheese and it tasted just as good as full fat. Lower in fat, and loaded with fiber.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 13 1/2 ounces whole wheat macaroni
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 1 tablespoon dried chopped basil
- 4 cups red spaghetti sauce
- 1 lb Italian sausage, cooked and sliced thin
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated, divided
- 1Cook the elbow macaroni according to package directions. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Heat olive oil in large skillet. Add garlic, onion, peppers, and basil. Saute 3 minutes, then add the sauce and sliced Italian sausage. Simmer 5 minutes.
- 3Spread 1 cup of the sauce mixture into the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish.
- 4Layer 1/2 of the macaroni, 1/2 of the sauce mixture, 1 cup mozzarella and 1/2 cup Parmesan.
- 5Repeat, and bake 25 minutes.
- 6Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Elbow Macaroni With Italian Sausage and Peppers
Serving Size: 1 (385 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1246.3
- Calories from Fat 593
- Total Fat 65.9 g
- Saturated Fat 25.2 g
- Cholesterol 133.5 mg
- Sodium 2641.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 106.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.2 g
- Sugars 18.2 g
- Protein 61.6 g