Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a great dish to make for brunch or a light supper. It comes from a fabulous book called The Italian Cooking Encyclopedia by Hermes House publishing company.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 lb tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 6 eggs
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Heat the oil in a shallow flameproof dish.
- Add the onion, and cook until soft and golden.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Add the tomatoes to the onions, and cook for 5-10 mins., or until the tomatoes are very soft.
- Stir in the chopped basil.
- Break the eggs, one at a ime, and slip them into the dish in one layer on top of the tomatoes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Dot with butter.
- Cover the dish, and bake in the oven for 7-10 minutes or until the egg whites have just set, but the yolks are still soft.
- Serve at once.
- Variation: sprinkle 2-3 tbsp of freshly grated Prmesan cheese over the eggs before baking.
I practically just discovered the internet last month and look, I'm already at 2437 reviews!!! Great recipe.
Wonderful dinner recipe. I had some leftover veggies that I added to the tomatoes under the eggs. Baked perfectly in 7 minutes, covered.