Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Kera Per Eeda (baked eggs with spicy bananas). This recipe is from Fire and Spice by Joyce Westrip. Tip: after slicing the bananas, sprinkle them with lemon or lime juice to prevent discoloration.
- 6 large bananas, ripe but firm
- 1 tablespoon lime juice or 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons ghee or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 onions, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 inch gingerroot, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1 large tomatoes, finely chopped
- 4 -6 eggs
- Peel and slice bananas into rings about 1/4 inch thick (don't slice them too thinly or they may break apart).
- Heat ghee or oil in a large pan and fry the onion, garlic and ginger until the onion starts to change color.
- Stir in the turmeric, chilli, coriander, tomato and salt. Stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add banana slices and mix in gently.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spread mixture evenly into a baking dish. Make depressions with the back of a spoon and break each egg into a depression. Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes or until eggs are done to your liking.