Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is so much easier than last-minute omlets and this delicious dish can be baked without any attention from the cook! Serve with a mixed fruit salad and Canadian bacon for a breakfast treat.From a March 1989 issue of Bon Appetit.
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, 1/4-inch dice
- 1 green bell pepper, 1/4 inch dice
- 5 large mushrooms, 1/4-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- fresh ground pepper
- 4 ounces colby cheese, shredded
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 2 dashes hot pepper sauce (such as Tobasco)
- Melt butter in medium skillet and add onions,bell peppers and mushrooms.
- Cook until tender, stirring occasionally, about 7 minutes.
- Season to taste with pepper.
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 325 degrees.
- Generously butter shallow 8-cup round baking dish.
- Whisk eggs,cream.milk,salt,cumin,thyme and pepper sauce in large bowl until thoroughly combined.
- Set aside 1/3 cup vegetables;add remainder to the egg mixture and whisk until combined.
- Pour egg mixture into prepared dish.
- Bake until eggs are almost set in center, about 30 minutes; sprinkle with reserved vegetables.
- Bake until eggs are just set, about 10 minutes longer.
- Serve hot, cutting into wedges.