Recipe by MarieRynr
Originally this Spring supper dish was made with goose eggs, but chicken eggs can be substituted, allowing two per person.
Top Review by *sweetomato*
This was so good! Since I did't have any fresh herbs on hand, I used a mix of dried herbs which included chives, dill weed, basil, French tarragon, chervil, and white pepper. Thanks for a great recipe, Marie, I will definatly make this again!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- 8 eggs
- salt and black pepper
- 4 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon mixed fresh herbs, finely chopped (sage, thyme, etc.,)
- 1⁄4 pint double cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350ºF or Mark 4.
- Lightly grease a large oven proof dish with the butter and sprinkle 4 oz of the cheese evenly over the base.
- Break the eggs carefully into the dish, one at a time, keeping whole and seasoning lightly.
- Mix the herbs together and sprinkle over, then carefully spoon the cream over the egg yolks and top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until lightly golden and serve accompanied by crusty bread and butter.