Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
A great dish for a light supper or brunch from a fabulous book called The Italian Cooking Encyclopedia by Hermes House publishing.
- 6 eggs
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons boiled ham, cut into thin matchsticks
- 6 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese or 6 tablespoons romano cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 -4 leaves fresh basil, to garnish
- rounds crusty bread, warmed to serve
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Butter a shallow ovenproof dish (or dishes if you prefer to bake the eggs individually.
- Break the eggs into the dish.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle the ham over the whites.
- Sprinkle the top with Parmesan or Romano.
- Dot with butter.
- Cover the dish,and bake for 7-10 mins., or until the whites have set and the cheese has melted.
- Garnish with basil.
- Serve hot with warmed peas.
- Variation: Add 2 ozs of canned peas after adding the ham.