Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Vegetarian dish for dinner or breakfast.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 16 ounces spinach, trimmed (2 bunches)
- 8 eggs, separated (yolks kept whole, if possible)
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Heat the oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and simmer for 3 minutes. Add the spinach and cook until it begins to wilt, 1 minute. Transfer to a 2-quart baking dish.
- Beat the egg whites until foamy, about 30 seconds, then pour them over the spinach mixture. Carefully place the whole yolks over the top.
- Bake until the whites are set,20-22 minutes.
- Divide among individual plates. Add dollops of the cream cheese, if desired.
goes together quickly and easily. I used cajun spiced tomatoes and it was good. next time I'll try italian style. thanks for sharing!
I've made this recipe multiple times since finding it in Real Simple magazine's November 2007 issue. It's a very easy but impressive brunch for lazy weekends. I usually toss just a little shredded cheese over the top right before serving with toast.