- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 3 large leeks, dark green stalks discarded, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise 1/2 inch thick (about 2 pounds)
- 680.38 g onions, chopped
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 4 slice country white bread, crust discarded, toasted
- 85.04 g swiss cheese, shredded
- 8 eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Grease a 3-quart oval baking dish. In a large, heavy pot or dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the leeks, onions and 1/2 teaspoon salt, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Increase the heat to medium-high, uncover and cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are softened and browned, about 8 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
- Line the bottom of the prepared baking dish with the toast and sprinkle with half of the cheese. Top with the onion mixture. Using the back of a spoon, make 8 deep wells in the onion mixture. Working 1 at a time, crack the eggs into a small bowl and pour them into the wells. Top with the remaining cheese; season with pepper.
- Bake until the egg whites are set but still jiggly, about 20 minutes. Transfer the pan to the broiler and cook until the eggs are just set, 1 to 2 minutes.