1/3 Photos of Baked Eggs in Tomato Cups
Chef #208121's Note:
From Vegetarian Times 2006 posted to www.dgustibus.com A bit of a warning, this recipe is designed to show off garden fresh heirlooms as well as range free chicken eggs. It isn't going to taste the same with factory chicken eggs and shipped tomatoes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Note the tomatoes should be fresh picked and should be at the point where you can still hollow them out but headed for buttery soft in the next day or so.
- 2Herbs: oregano,chervil, basil, sage, Mrs. Dash.
- 3Preheat oven to 425°F while slicing tomatoes. Remove tops the scoop out seeds and pulp.
- 4Place in a shallow baking dish, sprinkle with a bit of salt or Mrs Dash [I used Italian], fresh ground pepper and put in a pinch of the parmesan cheese.
- 5Crack the egg into the tomato. Sprinkle with pepper, salt or Mrs. Dash, other herbs and a tiny bit of parmesan.
- 6Bake for 20 minutes for soft yolks and 30 to 35 for hard. During the last 4 minutes place two slices of the cheddar cheese in a cross pattern on top. Melt and let brown. When I removed I put a small amount of fresh chives on top of the cheese.
- 7Serves 8.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Eggs in Tomato Cups
Serving Size: 1 (244 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 171.8
- Calories from Fat 95
- Total Fat 10.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.1 g
- Cholesterol 204.4 mg
- Sodium 221.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 12.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: