From Vegetarian Times 2006 posted to www.dgustibus.com A bit of a warning, this recipe is designed to show off garden fresh heirlooms as well as range free chicken eggs. It isn't going to taste the same with factory chicken eggs and shipped tomatoes.
- Note the tomatoes should be fresh picked and should be at the point where you can still hollow them out but headed for buttery soft in the next day or so.
- Herbs: oregano,chervil, basil, sage, Mrs. Dash.
- Preheat oven to 425°F while slicing tomatoes. Remove tops the scoop out seeds and pulp.
- Place in a shallow baking dish, sprinkle with a bit of salt or Mrs Dash [I used Italian], fresh ground pepper and put in a pinch of the parmesan cheese.
- Crack the egg into the tomato. Sprinkle with pepper, salt or Mrs. Dash, other herbs and a tiny bit of parmesan.
- Bake for 20 minutes for soft yolks and 30 to 35 for hard. During the last 4 minutes place two slices of the cheddar cheese in a cross pattern on top. Melt and let brown. When I removed I put a small amount of fresh chives on top of the cheese.
- Serves 8.