Prep 0 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Vegetarian Times 2006 posted to www.dgustibus.com A bit of a warning, this recipe is designed to show off garden fresh heirlooms as well as range free chicken eggs. It isn't going to taste the same with factory chicken eggs and shipped tomatoes.
- Note the tomatoes should be fresh picked and should be at the point where you can still hollow them out but headed for buttery soft in the next day or so.
- Herbs: oregano,chervil, basil, sage, Mrs. Dash.
- Preheat oven to 425°F while slicing tomatoes. Remove tops the scoop out seeds and pulp.
- Place in a shallow baking dish, sprinkle with a bit of salt or Mrs Dash [I used Italian], fresh ground pepper and put in a pinch of the parmesan cheese.
- Crack the egg into the tomato. Sprinkle with pepper, salt or Mrs. Dash, other herbs and a tiny bit of parmesan.
- Bake for 20 minutes for soft yolks and 30 to 35 for hard. During the last 4 minutes place two slices of the cheddar cheese in a cross pattern on top. Melt and let brown. When I removed I put a small amount of fresh chives on top of the cheese.
- Serves 8.
I'm having a "breakfast for dinner" dinner party with one guest who is a vegetarian. I made these up tonight to see how they were and they are wonderful! Definitely going to use this for the dinner party.
I scrambled one and just cracked the egg straight in one and I will tell you it made a surprising difference! The scrambled egg flavor did not blend well with the tomato. Also the scrambled egg bonded more with the tomato so it was harder to cut.
I cooked them 25 min plus 5 min for the cheese and the egg yoke was cooked all the way through.
This is delicious. I used a mild Gouda cheese instead of parmesan and cheddar and it was great. I love the fruity flavour of the tomatoes in combination with egg and cheese. And it so easy to make. I baked them for 20 minutes plus an additional 5 minutes for the cheese. Great. Thanks for sharing.
very nice and a good balanced taste. i only used basil, sea salt and black pepper for seasoning. i also omitted the slices of cheese as they really didnt need it. used organic ingredients all around and halved the recipe as it was just for myself. thanks!