Recipe by Sharon123
This is the go-to dish on super busy activity laden nights. No one gets tired of it and with a salad and smoothie you have a complete and nutritionally well-rounded meal. Scale this recipe up as needed. Adjust measurements to taste. Adapted from foodie with family.
- 2 eggs
- 2 slice fresh bread (recommended-homemade whole grain bread)
- 29.58 ml cheese, shredded (can use cheddar, swiss, muenster, smoked gouda, etc.)
- 29.58 ml crispy veggie bacon, chopped (optional)
- green onion, thinly sliced (optional)
- hot sauce (or ketchup-optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Butter each slice of bread.
- Squeeze into the ramekin or muffin tin, buttered side down. Press bread against sides of dish to push crust above the rim and make enough room for the egg.
- Because the bread doesn’t always go where you want it to without tearing, you may find yourself with some pretty big holes.
- Don’t worry aboutt it. Just patch it with a buttered piece torn from another piece of bread.
- Top with 1-2 Tablespoons chopped bacon, if using.
- Break one egg into each ramekin and grind fresh pepper over the eggs.
- And don't skimp on the black pepper! You will regret it!
- Sprinkle evenly with about 1 additional Tablespoon shredded cheese and any other desired seasonings.
- Bake 15 to 25 minutes, till cheese is browned and eggs are cooked to desired consistency.
- If you prefer runny yolks, pull the eggs from the oven closer to 15 minutes.
- If you prefer medium yolks remove at about 20 minutes.
- If you like yolks that are firm all the way through, cook closer to the 25 minute mark.
- Remove toast cups from the dishes and serve. (These can also be served in the ramekins if they were cooked in them, but can pose a burning hazard for small hands. Use your discretion.).
- Serve hot, warm, or room temperature. Use hot sauce as desired.