Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
Tasty toast cups with a hint of maple syrup, an egg, and a tasty surprise of bacon inside. A delicious and fun breakfast or brunch; serve with a cup of coffee or glass of orange juice. Make these in regular muffin cups (or you can use buttered ramekins, but increase the time to about 16 minutes because it takes longer for the heat to penetrate the ramekins). Figure on 1 to 2 cups per person. Adapted from Dakin Farm in Vermont.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup, plus more for serving (optional)
- 6 slices bread
- 3 slices bacon, cooked until crisp and broken into small pieces (or use diced ham)
- 6 large eggs
- fresh ground black pepper (optional, to serve)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Butter six muffin cups.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter and add the syrup. (You can also do this in a microwave).
- Remove the crusts from the bread. Flatten each slice with a rolling pin. Brush both sides of each slice with the syrup mixture.
- Put one slice into each muffin cup and sprinkle the bacon pieces in the cups.
- Break an egg into each cup and bake until the eggs are set; start checking after about 5 minutes.
- Lift the toast cups from the pan and serve immediately, drizzled with additional syrup, if desired.
These were so easy and fast and taste wonderful, love the flavor of the maple syrup with the bacon, I made just as directed and the toast came out perfect with a slight taste of bacon with maple. YUM, and it was ready so quickly. The trick for me is to watch it close so you get it out when the eggs are to the firmness you like.
I thought that this was kind of neat. My son loved it. I cooked it for about 9 minutes.
I have read about these but never made them until this weekend. Great and easy recipe.