Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
For breakfast, lunch or dinner, these eggs baked in their own "basket" crowned with tasty cheese are sure to satisfy. Serve with salsa, chili sauce or ketchup and fresh fruit or a salad.
- 4 slices whole-grain sandwich bread
- 1 teaspoon butter, softened
- 1 cup Canadian cheddar cheese or 1 cup canadian mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 4 eggs
- Preheat oven to 375°F Butter 4 cups of a jumbo nonstick muffin pan or four 3/4 cup ramekins or ovenproof bowls.
- Using a rolling pin or a glass, starting at the bottom edge, roll bread to flatten. Spread one side of each slice evenly with butter. Gently press butter-side up into pan or ramekins, pleating bread on two sides to fit and making 4 points above edge of pan.
- Sprinkle about 1 tablespoons of the cheese into bottom of each cup.
- Bake for 5 minutes until toasted.
- Crack 1 egg into a separate small cup and drop into toast cup; sprinkle with pepper. Repeat with remaining eggs and toast cups.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for 13-15 minutes, until center is just slightly jiggly for softly set yolks or until desired doneness.
- Using two knives or narrow spatulas, carefully lift cups from pan and place on plates.