Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Tomatoes, garlic and balsamic vinegar add a Mediterranean flavour to baked eggs in this simple yet tasty recipe.
- 4 red ripe tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 pinch salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 eggs
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat bread crumbs
- Preheat the broiler or the oven to 350°F Skin, seed and chop the tomatoes. Place the chopped tomatoes in a bowl with the garlic, olive oil, balsamic vinegar and parsley. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper and mix well.
- Place a little of the mixture into the base of 4 ramekins or 'cocottes' and break an egg into each ramekin.
- Scatter each egg with a little more of the tomato mixture, making sure you add the 'juice' as well. Top with breadcrumbs and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Place under a hot broiler or in the oven until the eggs are cooked and set to your liking. Serve at once.
These were fantastic! I substituted fresh basil for the parsley, and they came out great. They were a light and flavourful breakfast. The recipe easily halved to make two servings. A real keeper! Thanks English Rose!