Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
The creamy mushroom mixture is reminiscent of a yummy stroganoff. Although it is easy to assemble, this is so rich and delicious that it can easily pass for "fancy".
- 3⁄4 lb cremini mushrooms or 3⁄4 lb button mushroom, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped shallots or 1⁄4 cup onion
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon dried tarragon, to taste
- 12 slices black forest ham or 12 slices virginia ham (with no holes)
- 12 large eggs
- Cook the mushrooms and shallot in butter with salt and pepper in a large heavy skillet over moderately high heat, stirring, until mushrooms are tender and liquid they give off is evaporated, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the sour cream and tarragon.
- Fit 1 slice of ham into each of 12 lightly oiled muffin cups (ends will stick up and hang over edges of cups).
- Divide mushrooms among cups and crack 1 egg into each.
- Bake in middle of 400°F oven until the whites are cooked but yolks are still runny, about 15 minutes.
- Season the eggs with salt and pepper and remove (with ham) from muffin cups carefully, using 2 spoons or small spatulas.