Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
The amount listed will serve about 3-4 people although my DH and DS could eat this dish by themselves lol! you can double this recipe if desired, white button mushrooms can be replace for the portabellos. This dish will have you clammering for more, and it tastes even better the following day, but I doubt if there will be any leftovers lol! Use as much portabello mushrooms or button mushooms and cheeses as desired for this recipe, I don't bother measuring. This can be served as a side dish or a main dish, it's a pretty filling dish especially if you use portabello mushrooms!
- 1 large eggplant (peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch slices)
- 29.58-59.16 ml olive oil
- salt and black pepper
- 2 onions, chopped
- 29.58-44.37 ml fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 9.85 ml italian seasoning (or to taste)
- 9.85-19.71 ml dried chili pepper flakes
- portabella mushroom, coarsley chopped (or use white mushrooms, sliced)
- 2 (453.59 g) can tomato sauce (can use less tomato sauce if desired, Hunt's is the best for this!)
- 709.77 ml mozzarella cheese, divided (or to taste)
- 78.07 ml grated parmesan cheese (or to taste)
- Grease a 2-3-quart oval baking dish (I use my Le Creuset cookware for this recipe!).
- Set oven to broiler heat.
- Grease a large baking sheet.
- Brush each side of eggplant slices with olive oil, then season lightly with salt and black pepper.
- Arrange the eggplant slices on the baking sheet; broil for 3 minutes on each side, or until lightly browned.
- In a large skillet heat 2-4 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat; add in onion, garlic, Italian seasoning, chili flakes (if using) and mushrooms; saute for about 7-8 minutes, or until the liquid from the mushrooms evaporates, season the mixture with salt and pepper.
- Spread HALF the mushroom mixture on the bottom of the dish.
- Arrange HALF the eggplant slices over the mushroom mixture.
- Top with HALF of the tomato sauce and about 1-1/2 cups of the mozza cheese.
- Spread the remaining mushroom mixture over the mozza cheese; top with remaining eggplant slices, then top with remaining tomato sauce.
- Cover and bake in a 375 degree oven for about 1 hour.
- Remove then sprinkle with about 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese and about 1-1/2 cups mozza cheese.
- Return to oven uncovered for another 5-6 minutes or until the cheese melts.
- Let stand about 10-15 minutes before serving.
I absolutely love this recipe. I do add some spinach or chard generally and use tomato paste instead of sauce just to thicken it up a bit. We recently became vegetarians in my house and this recipe has been a staple ever since. Thanks for posting this one, and all your other wonderful recipes Kittencall! My family thinks i can cook because of you haha.
Fantastic! I might add some chopped green pepper to the veggie mixture next time. Thanks for posting!!!
This is a wonderful no meat meal! I used 12 large chopped mushrooms(it had more mushroom than eggplant), 4 cloves of garlic, 3 teaspoons italian seasoning and 1 teaspoon (which was still a bit much for me) of red pepper flakes. I made sure to drain my mushrooms and onions well but in the end it still ended up with alot of liquid but it was easy to drain. All in all we really loved this! I would say it feeds 6-8 though so the calories don't scare you away. Made for 1-2-3 hit wonders.