Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This tasty eggplant dish is the perfect side to a roasted chicken and a green salad with a lemon vinaigrette. You can either pre-grill the slices or broil them before putting the dish in the oven but either way, make sure the slices are partially cooked before baking. You may want to have a little extra wine/chicken broth mixture handy if the sauce gets too dry.
- 2 medium eggplants, sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup pesto sauce, preferably homemade
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Salt the eggplant slices and lay on a paper towel for 20 minutes to extract any bitter flavors.
- Pat the slices dry.
- Grill the slices (I use a dry grill pan on the stove top but you could also broil) until soft but not all the way done.
- Heat a skillet and add 2 TBS olive oil, Saute onion, garlic, and bellpepper until soft.
- Salt and pepper liberally.
- Stir in the wine and chicken broth and reduce to about 1/2 Cup.
- Stir in pesto and tomato paste and remove from the heat.
- In a casserole dish sprinkle the remaining 1 TBS olive oil and lay one layer of eggplant slices on top.
- Spread 1/3 of the sauce on the eggplant and top with 1/3 of the cheese mixture. Repeat layers.
- Top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes, or until cheese is browning and bubbly and eggplant slices are soft.
I was looking for a recipe without breading, or flour, and love the combination of eggplant with parmesan cheese, so this recipe fit the bill perfectly. My husband and I both really liked the dish with a few modifications. I omitted the tomato paste entirely, as there is no mention of when to add it in the instructions. I added extra chicken broth in place of the white wine and doubled both the mozzarella and parmesan, because we are cheese lovers. This is definately a keeper recipe, thanks so much Trinkets for a very yummy dish!