1 hr 30 mins
This tasty eggplant dish is the perfect side to a roasted chicken and a green salad with a lemon vinaigrette. You can either pre-grill the slices or broil them before putting the dish in the oven but either way, make sure the slices are partially cooked before baking. You may want to have a little extra wine/chicken broth mixture handy if the sauce gets too dry.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium eggplants, sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup pesto sauce, preferably homemade
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1Preheat oven to 350.
- 2Salt the eggplant slices and lay on a paper towel for 20 minutes to extract any bitter flavors.
- 3Pat the slices dry.
- 4Grill the slices (I use a dry grill pan on the stove top but you could also broil) until soft but not all the way done.
- 5Heat a skillet and add 2 TBS olive oil, Saute onion, garlic, and bellpepper until soft.
- 6Salt and pepper liberally.
- 7Stir in the wine and chicken broth and reduce to about 1/2 Cup.
- 8Stir in pesto and tomato paste and remove from the heat.
- 9In a casserole dish sprinkle the remaining 1 TBS olive oil and lay one layer of eggplant slices on top.
- 10Spread 1/3 of the sauce on the eggplant and top with 1/3 of the cheese mixture. Repeat layers.
- 11Top with the remaining cheese.
- 12Bake for 30-45 minutes, or until cheese is browning and bubbly and eggplant slices are soft.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Eggplant With Pesto, Parmesan, and Mozzarella
Serving Size: 1 (291 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 304.4
- Calories from Fat 159
- Total Fat 17.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 22.0 mg
- Sodium 476.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.1 g
- Sugars 11.2 g
- Protein 12.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: