1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 10 mins
Not normally an eggplant fan, but this is really good. From Cheap, healthy, good blog.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 (8 ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce, divided
- 2/3 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided (shredded)
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1Salt eggplant slices and place in colander on top of a plate. After 30 minutes, rinse eggplant thoroughly and pat down with paper towels.
- 2Preheat broiler.
- 3Arrange the eggplant slices on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; broil 3-4 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
- 4Preheat oven to 375°.
- 5Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat; add onion and next 6 ingredients (onion through mushrooms). Cover and cook 7 minutes or until tender, stirring mixture occasionally. Increase heat to medium-high; uncover and cook for 2-4 minutes or until liquid evaporates.
- 6Spread half of mushroom mixture in bottom of a 1 1/2-quart round baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange half of eggplant slices over mushroom mixture; sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Top with 1/2 cup tomato sauce and 1/3 cup mozzarella. Spread remaining mushroom mixture over mozzarella; top with remaining eggplant slices. Sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon pepper; top with remaining tomato sauce. Cover and bake at 375° for 1 hour. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup mozzarella and Parmesan. Bake, uncovered, 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Let stand 10 minutes.
Browse Our Top Low Cholesterol Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low Cholesterol Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Eggplant With Mushroom-Tomato Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (353 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 294.6
- Calories from Fat 114
- Total Fat 12.7 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 39.6 mg
- Sodium 652.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.8 g
- Sugars 12.2 g
- Protein 21.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried Italian seasoning