Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Time Life Great Taste Low Fat
- 2⁄3 cup plain dried breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 eggplant, peeled
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 8 ounces low-sodium tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with foil. Slice the 1 pound eggplant into 16 rounds after peeling.
- Combine bread crumbs, cheese, 3/4 tsp of the lemon zest, 1/4 tsp of the oregano and 1/4 tsp of the thyme. In a shallow bowl, beat the white with water then dip each eggplant round into whites then bread crumbs and place on baking sheet.
- In bowl combine oil and lemon juice and drizzle over slices. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown then transfer to platter.
- In small saucepan, combine sauce, salt, zest, thyme and oregano. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 2 minutes. Pour over eggplant and serve.