Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
From Everyday Food
Make and share this Baked-Eggplant Parmesan recipe from Food.com.
- olive oil, for baking sheets
- 2 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 3⁄4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese, plus 2 tablespoons for topping
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- coarse salt and pepper
- 2 large eggplants, peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch rounds (2 1/2 pounds total)
- 6 cups chunky tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Brush 2 baking sheets with oil; set aside. In a wide, shallow bowl, whisk together eggs and 2 tablespoons water. In another bowl, combine breadcrumbs, 3/4 cup Parmesan, oregano, and basil; season with salt and pepper.
- Dip eggplant slices in egg mixture, letting excess drip off, then dredge in breadcrumb mixture, coating well; place on baking sheets. Bake until golden brown on bottom, 20 to 25 minutes. Turn slices; continue baking until browned on other side, 20 to 25 minutes more. Remove from oven; raise oven heat to 400 degrees.
- Spread 2 cups sauce in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Arrange half the eggplant in dish; cover with 2 cups sauce, then 1/2 cup mozzarella. Repeat with remaining eggplant, sauce, and mozzarella; sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons Parmesan. Bake until sauce is bubbling and cheese is melted, 15 to 20 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
I was looking for a baked eggplant parmesan recipe that used less oil and am so happy that I found this one. The eggplant baked up crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. Make sure to allow enough baking time to get the eggplant well browned. You couldn't tell that it was baked instead of fried. I used marinara sauce with added garlic and crushed red pepper flakes. It was wonderful! DH couldn't get enough! I will definately be making this one again! Thanks!
This tasted awesome. The only problem I had was I needed about 20 extra minutes to bake the eggplant slices to golden brown. This may have been because I had to use panko instead of regular breadcrumbs. This recipe was so easy, and I can't wait to make it again.
Delicious! I could eat the baked eggplant alone! I used prego spaghetti sauce,my favorite, was soupy but really Good!! Will make a lot more in the future.