A hearty vegetarian dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 eggplant, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 3 large carrots, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 (14 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 soft breadcrumbs
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese, can use lite I like a combination of reduced fat cheddar and mozzarella
- 1In a deep bowl soak diced eggplant in heavily salted water (about 1/2 tablespoon salt). Use a smaller bowl to weigh the eggplant down so that it is fully submerged.
- 2Leave to soak about 20 minutes - until the water is discoloured - this process reduces the eggplant's absorbancy.
- 3Drain diced eggplant thoroughly and dry completely in a clean tea towel or use paper towels.
- 4Heat up 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and saute the eggplant until softened. Set aside.
- 5Using the same frypan heat up the second tablespoon of olive oil and saute the garlic and onion until soft.
- 6Add bell pepper, carrots, zucchini and celery. Saute 5 minutes.
- 7Sprinkle with red pepper flakes, chili powder and ground cumin. Cook 2 minutes.
- 8Add canned tomatoes with the juice, sugar, oregano and basil leaves.
- 9Cook on low until tomatoes are further broken up and softened.
- 10Stir in drained and rinsed kidney beans and bread crumbs.
- 11Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 12Pour into a greased 9 x 9 glass casserole dish.
- 13Sprinkle with grated cheese and bake for 30 minutes.
- 14VERY IMPORTANT! Allow to rest for 20 minutes - it will thicken slightly and the flavours intensify if served warm not hot.
- 15Serve with garlic bread and a green salad.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Eggplant Chili Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (442 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 339.2
- Calories from Fat 127
- Total Fat 14.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 29.4 mg
- Sodium 574.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.1 g
- Sugars 13.2 g
- Protein 17.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: