Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A hearty vegetarian dish.
- 1 eggplant, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 3 large carrots, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 (14 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 soft breadcrumbs
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese, can use lite I like a combination of reduced fat cheddar and mozzarella
- In a deep bowl soak diced eggplant in heavily salted water (about 1/2 tablespoon salt). Use a smaller bowl to weigh the eggplant down so that it is fully submerged.
- Leave to soak about 20 minutes - until the water is discoloured - this process reduces the eggplant's absorbancy.
- Drain diced eggplant thoroughly and dry completely in a clean tea towel or use paper towels.
- Heat up 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and saute the eggplant until softened. Set aside.
- Using the same frypan heat up the second tablespoon of olive oil and saute the garlic and onion until soft.
- Add bell pepper, carrots, zucchini and celery. Saute 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with red pepper flakes, chili powder and ground cumin. Cook 2 minutes.
- Add canned tomatoes with the juice, sugar, oregano and basil leaves.
- Cook on low until tomatoes are further broken up and softened.
- Stir in drained and rinsed kidney beans and bread crumbs.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pour into a greased 9 x 9 glass casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese and bake for 30 minutes.
- VERY IMPORTANT! Allow to rest for 20 minutes - it will thicken slightly and the flavours intensify if served warm not hot.
- Serve with garlic bread and a green salad.
My husband and I both liked the flavor. I'm not sure what the "soft breadcrumbs" means; I used the breadcrumbs I had (fine and dry), which made the texture a little weird. Next time I will try quick oats instead. I omitted the celery because I didn't have any and used fresh tomatoes and herbs. I will definitely try this again. I've got eggplant growing like crazy in my garden...