Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 3 medium eggplants, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 10 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan.
- Add onion, garlic and saute until tender.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, basil and oregano and bring to a boil.
- Simmer 30 minutes until thick and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat more olive oil in a large skillet and fry the eggplant slices in batches until golden on both sides.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Toss cooked pasta with the tomato sauce.
- Grease an 8 cup gratin dish 9 x 9.
- Arrange ingredients as follows: 1/3 eggplant slices, 1/2 tomato/pasta mixture, 1/3 eggplant, half mozzarella slices, 1/2 half tomato/pasta, 1/3 eggplant, rest of cheese.
- Bake uncovered about 30 minutes.
It was easy to make. Even though my husband doesn't like eggplant he liked this dish. However the kids did not. One thing missing is the temperature at which to bake it