Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
I had this recipe for eons!! Originally found in a Seventeen Magazine EONS ago!!(Try 20 years ago). It's still a great recipe except I added garlic to the tomato sauce and extra oregano.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs eggplants
- 1 egg
- 1 cup dried Italian breadcrumbs
- olive oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- oregano leaves
- 1⁄2 monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- About 1 hour before serving: slice eggplant lengthwise into 12 1/8" thick slices.
- Preheat broiler In pie plate mix egg and milk.
- Place bread crumbs on wax paper.
- Brush jelly roll pan (or cookie sheet) with 3 tbsp of olive oil.
- Place 1/2 eggplant slices in pan and arrange so that they can fit 1 layer deep only.
- Broil 5-7 minutes until tender (lightly browned) on both sides.
- Repeat with tbsp of oil and remaining eggplant.
- In bowl mix tomato sauce, sugar, pepper, 1 cup of water and 1/4 tsp of oregano leaves.
- Set aside.
- Heat oven to 325°.
- Grate cheese.
- In bowl mix ricotta with another 1/4 tsp of oregano and all but 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Spoon 2 tbsp of ricotta cheese mixture in 1/2" wide strip on each slice roll.
- Spoon some sauce on bottom of pan (2 qt baking dish) Bake 30 minutes.
- Then sprinkle with cheese return to oven to melt.