Recipe by southern chef in louisiana
This broiled method is less greasy. Leave the skin on the eggplant--it gives a nice texture and vitamins to the dish
- 4 -6 small eggplants
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh basil leaf
- 2 cups spicy tomato sauce
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the broiler.
- Slice the eggplant thinly, place on a baking sheet, and brush both sides with olive oil.
- Broil until lightly browned, turning once, about 7 minutes per side.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Coat a 9x13-inch pan with cooking spray. Alternate layers of eggplant, garlic, basil, several spoonfuls of tomato sauce, mozzarella, adding pepper to taste. Repeat until all the ingredients have been used. Top with parmesan cheese.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until bubbly and light browned.