Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
The breading & baking recipe is from Ce Ce on recipezaar. She used on green tomatoes. They are to die for. I decided to use on eggplant and use my own tomato mushroom gravy or sauce. I think my eggplant is great with Ce Ce's breading recipe.
- 1 eggplant, peeled and cut in long slices
- 1⁄2 cup white flour
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar or 1⁄2 teaspoon Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- Pam cooking spray
tomato mushroom gravy (or tomato sauce and mushrooms)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) candiced tomatoes with onion and garlic
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, with liquid
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar or 1 teaspoon Splenda sugar substitute
- shredded mozzarella cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400*.
- Place baking pan in oven for about 6 minutes. Take out hot pan and spray with Pam.
- Mix cornmeal, flour, sugar and pepper in shallow pie plate, while pan is heating.
- Put milk in another shallow pie plate.
- Coat each eggplant slice in milk, then in cornmeal and flour mixture.
- Place breaded eggplant on the baking pan. Spray the slices with Pam.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Take out of oven and turn slices over.
- Bake for 10 more minutes. Take out. Cover and keep warm.
- In medium saucepan add diced tomatoes, mushrooms with liquid. Heat.
- Add 1 tsp flour to 1/4 cup milk. Stir. Add any leftover milk and breading mix. Wisk to mix until blended. Add sugar or Splenda.
- Slowly stir in to tomato mushroom mixture and stir until thickened.
- Use as gravy over eggplant slices or place the cooked eggplant slices in a flat casserole dish, spoon the sauce over and then add shredded cheese on top and bake for 15 minutes 400*.
I was looking forward to prepare this dish as my DH and I love eggplant and mushrooms. The suggested idea of baking the eggplant is very good tasty and healthy. Unfortunately the gravy was disappointing. I found it tasteless even thought I added a splash of Lee & Perrins Sauce and pepper. My husband liked it. I asked him to rata the recipe in a scale of 1 -5 he said 4 and I liked 3. I will be baking the eggplant again but I will look to dress up these guys with something a little more tasteful or exotic. Thank you again
Thought this eggplant recipe was great. They are even nice plain as "eggplant chips" dipped in tomato sauce. A nice crisp outside texture with non of the high fat! I served it with chicken breast and a small serving of pasta.
What an easy and more healthy way to prepare eggplant instead of frying. The gravy is wonderful! The only substitution I made was to use Splenda Blend instead of sugar. I made these for dinner tonight and everyone loved them!! I'll be making this recipe again.