Recipe by evelyn/athens
Adapted from a recipe found at canadianliving.com - using fresh egg roll wrappers from the supermarket, these homemade baked egg rolls will disappear as soon as they're out of the oven. From the Canadian Living Test Kitchen, so it's tested until perfect. Serve with plum sauce or sweet chili sauce.
Top Review by Lavender Lynn
Baking instead of frying gives these egg rolls a different texture some will like and others may not. Missing is the bubbly surface and crisp lightness; in exchange you get even, crunchy texture that's a little chewy inside. The big upside is that there is none of the out-of-control oiliness that we often got making egg rolls at home when the shells leaked. Flavor is terrific and there are some great subtle textures in the filling. Took some time and would go better with practice, but no part of the process was difficult and everything worked. We dipped them in a tangy, gingery plum sauce and loved them.
- 1 lb ground lean pork
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1⁄2 cup chopped water chestnut
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 12 large egg roll wraps
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- plum sauce
- sweet chili sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- In nonstick skillet, cook pork over medium-high heat, breaking up with spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes; drain off fat. Add onions, garlic, bean sprouts, carrot, water chestnuts and ginger; cook over medium heat until onions are softened, 3 minutes.
- In small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, cornstarch, 1 tbsp water, sesame oil and pepper; pour into pan and toss well. Let cool slightly.
- Forming 1 roll at a time, place wrapper on work surface; brush with water. Spoon 3 tbsp pork mixture on bottom third, leaving 1/2-inch borders on bottom and sides. Pull bottom edge over filling and roll up; pinch ends to seal.
- Place, seam side down, on rimmed baking sheet; brush with oil. Bake in 375°F (190°C) oven until golden and crisp, about 20 minutes.